Pages

Saturday, September 22, 2012

I Love Books

I remember my obsession starting as a little kid. I read every book we had in the bookcase in our house, and re-read and re-read. Sometimes, when I would get bored, I liked to tear all the books out of the bookshelf, just so I could re-organize them. Just being in their presence was soothing to me.

One of my favorite things to do is to bring a book close to my face and flip through the pages. The smell of paper full of words creating a whole new world is so profound to me. The pages of a book are so much more than Paper. They symbolize the chance to move into a different dimension, free of the worries or cares of the world I live in.

Although I love books, I realized something today: I actually get scared over starting a new book. Here's why:

When I read a book, I become invested in the characters the author develops. They become my friends, my family. I get to experience some of their most intimate moments with them - the moment they fall in love, their heartaches, triumphs and disappointments, proud moments and not-so-proud moments. I get to live in their mind and learn what they're thinking. It's exhilarating.

But then, the book ends.

These people that I got to know and become friends with are ripped out of my life. Unlike a friend that moves away, I can't keep track of their life through Facebook, give them a call, write them a text to see what they're up to. I have a hard time letting go of these people I've invested so much time into.

Starting a new book is to make all new friendships. It's scary. What if I don't like how the author builds the character? What if I simply don't like the lead?  What if I simply dislike the author? This, of course, is not a deterrent to keep reading, but is something I struggle with every time one good book comes to an end, and another literary journey begins.

Am I the only one with this problem?

2 comments:

  1. a beautifully written post, kera! I'm not into books as much as you are, but I can totally see where you're coming from :)

    ReplyDelete